You may be aware that we are currently running a series of articles tracking the number of ‘likers’ on the top 20 European Clubs on Facebook. Our most recent results have Barcelona positioned 1st, Manchester Utd 2nd and Real Madrid 3rd. We have also suggested that ‘Real’ may overtake Manchester Utd in next months table.
A recent Mashable article based on the top 100 Engaged Facebook Pages by FanGager suggests that Barcelona may be the most popular football club on Facebook but Manchester United are streaks ahead of their champions league rivals in terms of active engagement. This is an interesting result for a number of reasons:
- As our research indicates, top football clubs are looking at Facebook as a new field of competition
- Success in Facebook is more than a numbers game. Look no further than the recent Social Media Today article on EdgeRank for Facebook’s position on this.
- We need to measure more than “likers”, we argue that success involves 6 key measures of channel performance (the 6Is)
- If clubs are serious about sustained success on Facebook, they will need to find ways to increase fan engagement
- Ironically, this may be more challenging than getting 10m likers
We look forward to your comments
Alan, Jim and Vincent